40 By 40
40 Things to Do Before I’m 40 Years Old
I turn 40 soon (October 30, 2012).
For most of my life, I’ve done things for others, and I’ve let others influence me a little too much. I’m a different person now, and this chapter in my life will slowly come to a close. The next 40 years are going to be mine.
This list represents the start of that journey by highlighting some things I want to have happen before my 40th birthday. Each time I complete an item from the list, I’ll try to write about it here and also include the pics/videos/documentation/blood for verification’s sake.
Here’s my list of 40 things to do by October 30, 2012.
- Pay off all credit cards and loans and have zero debt (outside of school loans).
- Get back in shape. This means getting back to the gym at least 3 times per week, getting back to 180 pounds, and getting back to running an 8-minute mile.
- Become a 5Linx SVP.
- DONE! Take my son to Staples Center to watch a Lakers game.
- FAIL! Complete NaNoWriMo
- DONE! Run in a local 5K race.
- DONE! New Year’s Eve in Vegas.
- DONE! Go to the House of Blues Sunday Gospel Brunch
- Play in a USCF chess tournament
- Tithe. Many years ago when I began working in my first full-time job, my grandmother taught me how to tithe (and yes, it is more than just paying 10% of your salary to the church). I enjoyed who I was back then when I tithed, and I want to go back there again.
- University of Redlands homecoming.
- DONE! Go to the Baltimore conclave to celebrate Groove Phi Groove’s 50th Anniversary.
- Complete my will/living trust. I looked into this several years ago after the birth of son #1, but I let it make its way to the bottom of my priority list. It’s time to make this a priority.
- DONE! Transfer my old TIAA-CREF retirement into a Roth IRA.
- Ride the new rollercoasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Contact my father.
- DONE! Visit the Lewis family in Pleasanton.
- DONE! The SkyJump at the Stratosphere. I thought about making the jump when we went two years ago, but it wasn’t the right time. Now’s the time.
- DONE! Retake my drivers license picture in a suit or tuxedo.
- Revive the Groove Phi Groove Summer Vegas trip.
- DONE! Teach my oldest son to ride a bike with no training wheels.
- DONE! Go to the doctor and get a complete physical exam. Go to the doctor and get a complete physical exam. Go to the doctor and get a complete physical exam.
- DONE! Learn how to play Beethoven’s Fur Elise completely.
- Have a birthday party with an actual birthday cake and candles and presents and ice cream. And maybe some music. I celebrated lots of birthday parties for others, but the last time I had my own birthday party was in elementary school. I’ve done several things since then for my birthday, but no real birthday party.
- DONE! Read one novel per month (beginning October 2011).
- DONE! Write one new blog post per week.
- Teach in a university’s school of education.
- DONE! See the movies The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers and The Amazing Spiderman on their opening nights.
- Ride in a helicopter.
- DONE! Play in a Hold’em tournament at Morongo Casino.
- Para-sailing, water skiing, and snorkeling on Catalina Island. The last time I was on Catalina Island was right after Mrs. Brown and I got married, and I regret that I didn’t do all the water sports back then.
- HALFWAY DONE! Have my windsheild and gear shift repaired in my car.
- DONE! Watch the first seven seasons of the classic TV series “Columbo”. Netflix is making this possible by offering a total of 47 episodes.
- Perform three new spoken word poetry pieces at “A Mic and Dim Lights.”
- Start a college/trust fund for my sons.
- I lost my round off back tuck. I need to find it again.
- DONE! Go an entire month with no fast food.
- Make twenty consecutive free throws. I don’t know if I can do them all in under a minute like Steve Nash here, but I’ll make 20 in a row.
- Learn how to play an instrument other than the piano.
- Watch the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain
Check back here often, leave me comments, and wish me luck.